Merchant Carl Tielsch and banker Gideon von Wallenberg founded a porcelain factory in Altwasser, Silesia, in 1845 (when Silesia was controlled by the Kingdom of Prussia). Silesia became a part of the German Empire, in 1871.
The Altwasser factory was known for its high-quality products and its interesting and award-winning designs. It was also known for producing both typical househeld items and fair-priced luxury items, such as figurines, vases, and chandeliers. When Carl Tielsch died in 1882, the management of the factory/company was taken over by his son, Egmont. Shortly after WWI (around 1920), Altwasser was merged into the city of Waldenburg, Germany. Around 1923, Carl Tielsch & Company was acquired by C.M. Hutschenreuther, which was a Bavaria, Germany company that had been founded in 1814. The factory in Waldenberg became a division of Hutschenreuther and continued to use the Carl Tielsch (CT) hallmarks on its products. After WWII (around 1945), Poland gained control over much of Silesia, European country borders were changed, and Waldenburg, Germany was renamed Walbrzych, Poland. The Walbrzych porcelain factory operated under the supervision of the Polish state and used the CT hallmarks (with the words “Made in Poland” added) on its products, until 1952, when the factory was completely nationalized. The nationalized factory/company was named Zakłady Porcelany Stołowej Walbrzych (or Walbrzych Porcelain Tableware Plant). It continued producing porcelain for the next 40 years, often according to Carl Tielsch’s designs. The Walbrzych factory was closed in 2012.